The UK’s live music scene is in almost terminal decline. Thanks to a combination of rising rents, gentrification and increased interference from local councils, more and more live music venues across the country are being forced to close their doors. But now an unlikely new force has entered the game, Selfridges, and they’re bringing with them a host of the UK’s best talent including out current cover star, Mabel. Launching their new Music Matters campaign yesterday, the department store announced their commitment to live music in the UK in the form of the UltraLounge, the UK’s first in-store music venue.
Kicking off on Thursday 20th July, the UltraLounge will play host to the likes of 67, Raye, Mabel, Shura, Joe Goddard and Last Night In Paris to name just a few. As part of the campaign, Skepta and A$AP Rocky will open and close the series of shows with exclusive ‘fashion-based concepts.’ Selfridge’s will also be hosting a series of ‘New Music Nights’ designed to showcase up and coming UK talent including Joy Crookes and Kudu Blue. See the full list of Music Matters performances, all taking place at Selfridges’ Oxford Street branch, below.
- 20 July: New Gen: 67, NOT3S, RENZ
- 27th July: ELVØR, CHARLIE CUNNINGHAM
- 3 August: UNKLE
- 10th August: RAYE, MABEL
- 17th August: VESSELS, Ten Fé, BEN PIERCE DJ
- 24th August: SHURA, PIXX
- 31st August: JOE GODDARD, AMA LOU, DJ ED ROSTAND
- 7th September:LAST NIGHT IN PARIS, HARE SQUEAD
- 14th September: ZULI, EL 3ezba
New Music Nights
- 26th July: Tom Walker / Majik / Tayla
- 9th August: Kudu Blue / Croox / Frank Gamble
- 23rd August: Mullally / Joy Crookes / Callum Pitt
- 6th September: Sam Wills, Cameron Bloomfield, MAAD
- 13th September:Yassassin / Nova Twins / Animal Sons
Tickets for Music Matters are available now from the Selfridge’s website.
Featured image: Photography Lusha Alic, Styling Jean-Paul Paula, Hair Brady Lea at Stella Creative Artists using ColourProof, Makeup Grace Vee at Carol Hayes using Chanel. Mabel wears hat Kangol, top MISBHV, shorts Astrid Andersen, shoes Stuart Weitzman, Jewellery Model’s Own.
Follow Mike Vinti on Twitter